EASE INTO THE GREEN! BY: KIM FORSTEN
Category: Kim's Corner
Recently, out of sheer curiosity, I joined the trend to ‘drink’ my veggies. I wanted to find out if I could blend kale, broccoli, Swiss chard, spinach or avocados and ease into the green with a sensational and delicious drink that even the most resistant green-eater might like (I’m looking at my husband).
After numerous attempts, my Vitamix and I finally came up with a drink that I love – AND that my husband will drink every morning!
Before I share my new green routine, I want to address a couple of points if you’re new to embracing veggies in this form:
1) To do this right, you need a good blender! I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought a Vitamix. It is an investment worth making – I use it for everything from shakes to soups to sorbets, and it delivers an absolutely flawless consistency every time.
2) Ease your family into this by using more fruit in your shake. Up to 60% fruit is fine in the beginning, and it adds a delectable sweetness and consistency that is still very healthy.
3) When integrating veggies into your smoothies, always use citrus to balance out the bitterness that certain greens (like kale) tend to have.
4) Follow my recipe to the letter if you are just easing into the green. It tastes delicious and fruity and offers plenty of quality nutrient density.
So here it is, in this order:
– 4 oz of pure pineapple juice (100% juice)
– 4 oz water
– 10 red seedless grapes
– 1/2 just-ripe sweet green pear or 1/2 sweet apple (like Honeycrisp or Gala)
– 1/2 ripened avocado
– optional, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
– 4 broccoli florets
– 2 large leaves or 4 small leaves of kale (Swiss chard or spinach work great, too!)
1 cup of ice
Blend the ingredients at a very high speed until smooth. Swallow your vitamins and nutrients in the form of whole foods blended into a sweet and scrumptious shake.
The holidays can be a very busy time for everyone, and eating nutrient-dense foods can sometimes be a mighty challenge. To keep your body’s health in check, create smoothies that include healthy greens, healthy fats and proteins. This wonderful habit will help you and your family stay on track all year long, and it’ll keep you looking and feeling your best! Enjoy!